Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Up all night......wondering what to do?

Here's what Miss Murry's up to right now as I type. Awww nothing as sweet and peaceful as a sleeping baby. So she's been sick. It's just a nasty cold, but she scared me a little. She's had several colds and never had a night like Monday night! We were literally up all night. We have an occasional cruddy night where she's up for a couple hours, or maybe she's up 2 or 3 times, but goes right back down. I can handle those....I might need to catch a nap, but it's no biggie. Well Monday night there was NO sleeping going on around here. I could tell she wanted to sleep, but just couldn't get comfy. We tried different positions in the crib. I rocked her to sleep about 3 times, but it was not working. I tried to lay on the couch with her, but neither of us could get comfy. So we tried sitting in the chair together. Note to self: get a comfier chair. So my last resort was watching movies so that at least maybe I could doze off because she was wide awake and wanting to talk to me and play. So we watched the Santa Clause, and still nothing. She sat through the whole movie. I dozed for a few minutes. Then I kept trying to think, now what makes me feel better when I'm sick----a hot bath! So we took a bath--not too hot, but warm. Keep in mind this about 5:30 am. After I've tried all I know to get her to sleep including giving her dimetapp which usually knocks her out. I've pretty much given up on sleep till she just crashes and figure why fight it. So after the bath, we put on Monsters, Inc and I set her up in her chair while I laid on the couch. Here I finally got in some good dozing till Dan got up. I guess Murry went and got him up on her own when she saw that the sun was up. He came in and had cereal with her and she finally, finally fell asleep. This was a little after 8 am!!! He laid her on the couch with me and that should be it right, but NO! At 9:30 I have solicitors show up at my door. I was not happy to say the very least. I told them to go away. Then I made a little sign saying baby sleeping--go away. Sweet huh?

She slept till 11:30--big whoop!

Ok so lots of Moms have long nights and lose sleep----this I know. I've done it when she was a newborn, and it made me a walking zombie who cried at the drop of a hat. This time was easier somehow. I knew she was hurting and I did what I could to help. Instead of getting upset or mad, I just tried to keep thinking about how bad she felt and what I'd want my mommy to do for me when I was sick. Yeah it sucked butt, but I do have to say that I'm proud that I kept my cool and made her as comfortable as possible.

The next day I took her to the doctor since it just seemed worse than anything she's ever had before since she couldn't sleep at all. It's just a nasty cold. Which is good because I sure didn't want it to be anything bad. So we picked up a few new medications and one of those vapor plug-ins. We went home and took a nap. She napped about the same as usual--1.5 hours. Grrrr.....now Mom was getting very tired and somewhat grumpy.

But by the grace of God, she slept all night last night.....whew. I woke up feeling tons better, and hope that tonight goes the same.

She's been a good girl all day, and I can tell she's feeling somewhat better already. She is a real hoot, and I hope she stays that way. Mmmmm, I am loving motherhood. Check back with me when #2 comes along and I might be singing a different tune---lol!
We had a very nice day together. She is so sweet and lovey when she's sick. I have to just sit here and soak up the sweetness. These pics are from Monday night--aka hell night. She was dancing around as you can see from the move she's doing in the picture on the right. The other one just shows her natural angelic glow.......lol.

When her Daddy got home from work, she was being a goofball. She was sitting in her chair saying "gooosh" and shaking her head back and forth as fast as she could. Then when he put her down she ran around like a wild Indian screeching, but being absolutely adorable about it. The more we laughed, the more she performed, of course.

That's the news that is the news from the homefront of Miss Murry and her Mom!

3 comments:

Resa said...

So sorry that Murry was so sick. I have had many of those no sleep nights and they are rough. You are a great mommy and she is lucky to have you. :)

I hope she slept better for you last night and is feeling better today.

Oh and here's your extra points in case you missed them....*!*!*!*! ;o)

Misty said...

LOL--thanks for the points! ;)

Anonymous said...

Loved the quote about day long and years short. I about cried, how true it is!!!!