Sunday, February 26, 2006

Teenager in Training

Today was a stay-at-home and catch up on the housework day. We've been running for 4 days and needed today to get some things done. Back at Christmastime Murry was fascinated with Santa and she loved that Santa Claus movie the other day. Last night Mamaw sent it home with us. That was 104 minutes of uninterrupted cleaning time for me. Thanks Mamaw! Ok I did have to stop to get her a drink and a snack halfway through, but you can't ask much more of an 18 mos. old kiddo. Then of course I feel guilty for leaving her on her own for most of the day and so we played with the little people after I finished up as much as I could. The house was getting out of control a little bit. Why does motherhood have to come with such guilt? Most of the time I can just let it go, but every once in a while it really gets to me. Today wasn't one of the bad days. After we played for a half hour or so, I went back to doing housework. And believe me it's gotten waaaaay better for me since she was born. When she was first born I felt guilty about everything, but now I realize that I have to retain some of my own idenity so as not to go crazy and that taking care of me makes a better mommy for my baby girl. And giving her a clean house and food is part of the whole Mommy business. I think at first I though I'd fill her every waking hour with fun and learning. Have I ever come a long way, baby! lol

Anyway, not much new here today, so I'll give you the short list

  1. Murry is digging the shower/bath thing. I told her we were taking one after breakfast and as soon as I took her out of the highchair, she ran screaming "BATH" to the back of the house.
  2. The little people castle has some stairs......she was making the little queen go up and down the stairs. She'd say "up the stairs to see Papaw"......"Ok down the stairs to see Mamaw" and making the little people go downstairs. LOL--this cracked me up. Over at Mom's house, Mom's living room is downstairs and Dad's living room is upstairs and she doesn't get to go up there much since there is no gate. She will stand at the bottom and holler at the guys.....Paaaapawww and Uncle Ricky....Daaddy........ This is just one of those sweet things I want to remember.
  3. She also now think her Daddy is leaving everytime he asks for a kiss. This is because he's been gone soooo much. But it'll be over soon. It did not exactly make him all giddy with happiness that she keeps asking if he's "going bye-bye" or "go to work" when he asks for a kiss. :(
  4. We've been practicing counting to 5 and tonight she did it all by herself for the first time while D was getting her ready for bed. I don't think she has it down completely, but it'a start. I just can't believe the pace she is learning new things. Whew!
  5. She is really starting to enjoy talking on the phone and thinks she has to talk to everyone....but I don't let her. She loves to talk to the grandparents though. And a little sidenote---she's really missing her Nana, and has been asking about her everyday. She talked to Grandma Sherry today.
  6. One more......the short list keeps getting longer huh? Tonight she came in carrying her little people castle and I saw little muscles in her arms......my baby is growing up so fast...............*sniff, sniff*

I'll leave you with this quote that I read last night about motherhood in the book Mojo Mom. Oh and I'm too lazy to go look up who said it..........but it's a good one!

The days are long, but the years are short.

So true, So true.

4 comments:

Resa said...

So very true......

Amazing how long the days can seem to be, yet the years go by way to fast.

Glad you were able to get your house back into some sort of order today, that must feel pretty good. :)

Glad she's enjoying the bath time. Always makes life a little easier.

Oh and one more thing......I can totally relate to the guilty feeling. TOTALLY!

Trisha said...

Glad you got your house all clean yesterday! We'll be over at 7 am tomorrow... teehee

Totally agree on the quote also. This year has gone by so fast with Tally.

Anonymous said...

I know all to well about how fast time flies.....get my age and even the days are short..lol. So glad our little girl enjoyed the movie and I hope she didn't fret about Santa falling down this time. Since she so enjoys talking on the phone, remember Nana has a cell phone now, why don't you call her and let Miss Murry talk to her for a bit:) That would also make Mom very happy I'm sure:)

Anonymous said...

Do you people stay up all night???? Messages and comments posted at midnight, 1, 2 a.m.!!!
No, I realize when you're a young mother you do what you can when you can. And yes the years fly...It seems like only 15 years ago that my baby girl was Murry's age, oh wait it was!!!! No it really seems like yesterday. I still look at her sometimes and see that baby face with her chubby little hands and long ringlet curls.

Lots-O-Love....Aunt Weez